Saturday, August 22, 2009

Up, Up, & Away


Up, Up, & Away
Even though I've known it's been coming, I don't really feel prepared. Today is my last day to soak up just a bit more of this wonderful life, family, and community I'm leaving behind for a little while. Right now I'm so torn between the allure of going and the sadness of leaving.

I can relate to little Pi, a character in Yann Martel's novel, The Life of Pi, when he says, "What a terrible thing it is to botch the farewell. I am a person who believes in form, in the harmony of order. Where we can, we must give things meaningful shape" (p.285). Thank you all for giving my farewell a heartfelt, genuine, and "meaningful shape" by making an effort to see me or talk with me one last time. I am grateful for all of the strong hugs, special moments, and sincere well wishes. Later on, when I'm numbed by loneliness, I will try to wrap my hands around the warm mug of my most recent memories with you and feel a bit better. Oh, you will all be missed!
-m.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

You will be missed too! Safe travels, and hugs from the boys.

Jill said...

I'm programming my sleeping brain to think of you early this morning! See you SOON!

Kate said...

I am eagerly awaiting your first post from half way around the world! What did Abu Dhabi smell like when you first set foot out of the airport?