Sunday, September 27, 2009

What a day . . .



Today was my first day with students. I only had 8 to 10 of them at a time (they kind of roved in and out) but 8 was way more than I could manage. Let's just say that hands down, it was the craziest day of my teaching career. Wild, wild, wild. So many things went wrong that there's really too much to write. Chatting on the phone about the events, blow by blow, would just be so much easier. I'd consider it a 8.4 day in terms of phone-call worthiness. However, since that most likely won't happen, consider this a brief vignette in our phone conversation that never was:

Why yes, now that you mention it, I do see that there is a faucet missing in the bathroom. And no, you don't say!! A poor little baby kindergartner pulled it out of the wall while she was just trying to wash her hands!?!? You mean she was really really drenched to the point where she looked like she'd been hit be the type of super soaker that would be so strong it would be illegal? What happened next? Wait--then the water just kept gushing from that pipe in the wall? Like for a really long time? What did you do? So, you're telling me that you went to another teacher for help, but after she took off to notify the office, no one from the office actually came to help? What were they all doing? You don't know?! Then the bathroom flooded because there was so much water? Wow. Well, yes, I can imagine that it did make quite a mess. What about the poor girl? Oh -- no -- way. You finally had to take her to the office once things calmed down? How did you get the water off? A parent heard screaming? Well, at least someone took pity on you! But yes--I see what you mean--that probably didn't help you make a very good impression. What happened when you finally took the horrified little girl to the office? Seriously. They made her stand outside in the hot sun because they couldn't find her mother's mobile number? I see. Did she actually dry off? Did she ever get a change of clothes? Huh. Must have been a hot one. And it wasn't even 10:30 yet? Goodness. Yes, you're right. It guess it does sound like it was a decently interesting start to the school year . . .

No joke.
-m.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

What a day! Beautiful bathroom. Too bad they have yet to figure out how to install faucets that stay attached to the pipes. He He.
PS--you look very official.

Brie said...

Now that is a wonderful story. Classic. I love your writing style Molly...you have me rolling.

MissAnna said...

Your blog is lovely! (And your adventures thus far are hilarious) I can't wait to read more, and I have to admit, I'm quite excited to hear more about "Lord of the Flies: the Abu Dhabi version" Best of luck, my dear!

Ann said...

Molly! Is it OK if I follow you? My blog isn't NEARLY as interesting... but I'd love to read yours!