Thursday, November 12, 2009

'It's Still Summer Here' Salad

As I browse the web, I keep seeing posts of delicious looking fall foods. Comforting soups and stews, roasted vegetables, and sweet treats of apple and pumpkin must be appealing on those cold, blustery nights or on bright, crisp mornings. Here are some of my favorites:

3-P Soup (Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, and Peanut) by 3191 (Love the color and I think it would taste like the African Peanut Soup from the delectable Colophon Cafe.)
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds by Almota Roses (I'm always in a snacking mood.)
Swedish Cinnamon Roles by Peonies & Polaroids (Both beautiful and delicious. Wow.)
Applesauce by PillieBee (Even though this is from last year, it still counts!)
Apple Pie by Almota Roses (I may be a little biased when it comes to this blog.)

Yes, the calendar says it's November. Yes, the temperatures have dropped a little bit. Yes, the sun is coming up later and setting sooner. But does that make it fall? No siree! Not in my book! For all intents and purposes, it's still summer over here.

So, while you dear folks in Washington come in from the cold, gather together around full tables, and enjoy warm, home-cooked meals, I am still sitting down to simple summer fare. This recipe, which I have personalized just a tiny bit, is referred to as the 'It's Still Summer Here' Salad. All credit must go to the original creator: The Barefoot Contessa. She originally named it "Avocado Salad." These two details should be all you need to know that this recipe is a winner. (Fact: You can't go wrong with Ina. Opinion: Anything with avocados is going to be tasty.) I hope you enjoy!
-m.

It's Still Summer Salad


Mix in this order:

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 yellow pepper, seeded and ½-inch diced
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup small-diced red onion
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
½ teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice, (2 limes)
¼ cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and ½-inch diced


Note: I do realize that by posting this recipe at the onset of North American winter dramatically reduces the chances of anyone actually making it. However, it really is pretty terrific. I'd say it's even good enough to go through the hassle of storing the recipe in a safe place for the next 7 months just so you can make it next summer.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Do you think if I get Wendy to make it now it will last until next summer? It looks good, but I agree the weather does affect my food desires.
Dad