Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year

2010? Seriously? How can a year go by so quickly and yet so slowly at the same time? And really, can the Y2K scare be from a whole decade ago? Crazy. I feel like this is an appropriate time to admit that I'm starting to feel old.


Back to 2009.
Every year on December 31st (give or take a day), my mom asks me the same two questions: What are your hightlights? What are your lowlights? Since I'll be out of touch for a few days and I won't be able to talk to her, hopefully the blog can keep the tradition alive. (I'll do the lowlights first. I kind of like saving the good news for the end.)

Lowlights: Walter's burn; Charlie's accident; saying good-bye to people I love; adjusting to life in the UAE: new routines, new ways of living, accepting a loss of certain freedoms; job drama (both in Bellingham and in Abu Dhabi). Bleck.



1. jan . jello slip & slide 2.feb . multnomah/camas/portland/vancouver trip 3.mar . walter's burn 4.apr . san juan spring break bike tour 5.may . childhood fantasy come true: tom sawyer raft! 6.jun . adventuress fieldtrip 7.july . charlie vs. the harrow 8.aug . off to new adventures! 9.sept . exploring my new home 10.oct . discovering the desert 11.nov . azerbaijan 12.dec . holiday silliness

(just a few) Highlights: having a job teaching internationally (it's been a dream for quite some time); Walter's recovery; supportive friends and family; the natural water slide in the Palouse River; snowshoeing on sunny days at Mt. Baker; when my mom helps me with random projects (like finding 30 walking sticks) and when she manages things while I'm away and when she lets me stay at her house when I'm sick; trips to see my grandparents in Camas and Blaine; biking the San Juan Islands over spring break with Robin; Jill & Molly photo shoots & adventures; spending the summer with my family/families in Colfax (!!); eating ice cream with Rose; Charlie's recovery; building a Tom Sawyer raft with the help of many friends; living in a charming house with irreplaceable roommates (April, Kelli, Rose, that's you!); comforting talks with my dad; the Jell-O Slip & Slide; the people and the scenery at Youth Dynamic Adventures; yoga; the "Year in Mexico" dinner ritual; being able to bike to work; the fire pit in the backyard; having an open door, 'just drop in' policy at Cousens' house; being abroad with Jill; Camp Skeeter and the last few months of school with my fourth graders; building and deepening relationships; audio books; good health

2009 was a year with a lot of big changes. I agree with Saul Alinsky when he says that "Change means movement. Movement means friction." There was a decent amount of friction in my life-- enough to make me wish for smoother sailing in 2010. At the same time, I feel kind of guilty wanting life to be easier--compared to most people, I already have it good. Really, really good. You, dear family and friends, are a big part of all the good in my life. Thank you.

2009: Much to reflect on; much to be be thankful for; much to appreicate.
-m.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

You have been blessed with a rich life, Molly. Some people never experience so many things in 10 years. We miss you lots, but are glad that you are settling in. I was just talking to your dad yesterday about the Y2K thing and laughing. Funny.

(((hugs))) Wendy