Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Granola


I wanted a little comfort food to remind me of home the other day. After sifting through a few recipes, I decided to make my mom’s granola. (I’m not really sure if she made up this concoction herself or if she found it in a cook book; regardless of where she got the recipe, I’m referring to it as ‘Mom’s Granola’.)


The recipe:

Mom's Granola

Preheat oven to 225 degrees and place rack in the center.

In a large bowl combine the oat mixture.

2 pounds of rolled oats

1 C chopped nuts (I like walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts.)

1 C wheat germ

2 C coconut

1 C sunflower seeds

½ C sesame seeds


In a saucepan combine the ingredients for the sauce:

½ C canola oil*

2 sticks margarine or butter*

2 T molasses

1 T vanilla

1 C PB*

1 C honey

½ t salt

Heat over medium heat until melted & mixed together.


Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and toss together, making sure all the oat mixture is coated with the liquid. Spread the granola onto a baking sheet and bake for about 60 minutes or until golden brown. Stir occasionally so the mixture browns evenly. The browner the granola gets (without burning) the crunchier the granola will be. When finished, remove from the oven & place on a wire rack to cool. Once the granola has completely cooled, store in an airtight container or plastic bag. It will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.

*This is NOT a low-fat granola recipe.


The side story:

I'm of the opinion that a little breakfast for dinner is a nice thing now and then. So when it was my turn to host Hump Day dinner a few weeks ago, I opted for the homemade granola/yogurt combo. Unfortunately, the granola didn’t really turn out the way I was hoping. It was a little dry and tasteless. Fortunately, I figured out why it didn’t taste like Mom’s: it’s a little thing called measuring.


Yes, I made a classic measuring mistake. So classic, in fact, I can’t believe I fell for it. I didn’t look too closely when purchasing the oats from the store, and I’m a bit embarrassed to tell you that I added 2 kilograms of rolled oats instead of 2 pounds of rolled oats. Oops . . .


-m.

No comments: