Sunday, August 15, 2010

100 Reasons You Should Go To Thailand (11-20)

100 reasons, in no particular order . . .


11. Seeing for yourself just how odd elephants look.
Don't scoff at this reason for visiting Thailand. In all honesty, it's true. They really are funny looking creatures and I found them much more amusing than I imagined I would. At least I'm not the only one.



12. Delicious Desserts
We happened to be in Thailand for Jill's 25th birthday. Although we Dhabians were both sick of the mall-scene, hunger lured us into a giant shopping complex. While there, we wound up in one of the most upscale food courts I'd ever seen. It actually turned out to be a nice place to enjoy a little birthday lunch. For the occasion, we pulled out all the stoppers. I know what you're thinking but no, we skipped the Full Moon Party and instead, ordered two plates of decadence. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JILLIE!


13. Legends
Ayuthaya is full of guillotined Buddahs. This is the stuff legends are made of.


photo by pilliebee
14. Danger!!!
Even though it was against the rules, our elephant guide let us touch this lady's titanic tongue. Granted it doesn't look all that scary from this angle. However, when you get a close view of those mammoth molars, it sure makes you think twice!


15. River Rides
The Chao Prayah River is a life line of commerce that runs through Bangkok before emptying into the Gulf of Siam. Our guide must have learned well from this mother river: seems like our baht kind of did the same thing. I advise you to choose your river guide wisely and to bargain for a fair price.


16. Banners!
I loved how there were cheery banners flying everywhere throughout the capital city. It definitely gave Bangkok a festive feel.


photo by pilliebee
17. Happiness
Temple sprees can make you kind of giddy!


18. Green Curry
I once loved Thai food enough to believe that I could never get tired of it.
Umm . . . that was before the trip.
Really, it didn't take long before I had a bit of an aversion to it all. I would acquiesce, though if there was green curry on the menu.


19. Adrenaline Rushes
Swinging through the trees like Tarzan was undeniably fun!!!


20. Wat Phra Kaew
Spectacular, sacred, dazzling. There's a reason this is Bangkok's busiest wat. This major attraction is a definite must see!

-m.

No comments: