Thursday, September 16, 2010

Summer Quest: Update

u
Turkish Tomatoes

I know bruschetta ain't no Holy Grail, but I really did take my quest quite seriously. I searched through several sources to find the best recipes; I bought or picked the freshest of ingredients; I prepared my dishes with love and care. Despite my efforts, I never quite found the perfect melange. Until this crusade is complete, I thought I'd share one of my top contenders:

Bruschetta Pomodoro
Cooking Light
, September 1997

Pomodoro is Italian for "tomato."


2 cups minced plum tomato (about 3/4 pound)
1 1/2 teaspoons capers
2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
10 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette, toasted

Combine all the ingredients except French bread; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain the tomato mixture. Top each bread slice with 1 tablespoon of tomato mixture.
Yield: 10 servings

CALORIES 95 (20% from fat); FAT 2.6g (sat 0.4g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 2.2g; CHOLESTEROL 1mg; CALCIUM 15mg; SODIUM 255mg; FIBER 1.1g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15.8g
(Special thanks to Cooking Light. I'm not the best at creating my own recipes; the results are definitely better when I borrow them from others.)


Some produce from the Bellingham Farmer's Market.
(I don't know how to describe it, but it's a little too shiny--or something. Any photo experts out there have ideas on how to keep that from happening again?)


Buon Appetito!
-m.

1 comment:

[chrisotto] said...

Well, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right :D