Friday, January 7, 2011

New Songs for the New.New.New Year

Since the post-holiday season can be notoriously drab and dreary in the PNW, Jill and I (well, Jill, really) started a special little music ritual to keep the good times rolling right into January. For the past couple of years, I've been the lucky recipient of a little sampling of fun tunes we like to call "New Songs for the New Year". They've been the perfect antidote to the winter blues.


image also by pilliebee

Here are my top of the top hits from the first two albums:
Tinfoil Hats by Rocky Votolato from New Songs for the New Year. (Jan. 2009)
Lasso the Moon by Kelli Schaefer from New Songs for the New.New Year. (Jan. 2010)

This year we're both submitting songs for the New Songs for the New.New.New Year mix. (6 songs each; 12 songs total; 1 song for each month. woot!) Here are my selections for the 2011 compilation.

Where the Road Meets the Sun by Katie Herzig and Matthew Perryman Jones

Nothing But the Whole Wide World by Jakob Dylan & Neko Case

Awake My Soul
by Mumford & Sons

I Was Made for Sunny Days by the Weepies

Ballade du Mois de Juin by Benjamin Biolay & Chiara Mastroianni

And my personal favorite: To Be Surprised by Sondre Lerche

[To have a listen, just click on the name of each song. And you really should listen to at least ONE song--because all that linking took me a really long time.]

The songs in the previous albums have been so good that I'm feeling a little bit of pressure --I want these guys to be winners, too. Hope they don't disappoint!
-m.

No comments: