Friday, April 22, 2011

Photo Club Assignment #13: "Mentor Texts"

Our first assignment of the year was to research accomplished photographers in order to find one photographer with a style or an image that we really liked. After studying their life and work, the next step was to select a single photograph to imitate. Through the process of replicating this "mentor text" we would hopefully pick up a bit of the photographer's technique and craft.

After thinking about "mentors," I went back to a favorite from my college days: Henry Doisneau.

Doisneau, self portrait, circa 1953

My Mentor Texts:

Doisneau, a contemporary of Henry Cartier-Bresson, was a pioneer of photo journalism. He was known for walking around the streets of Paris, camera in hand, ready to catch life as it happened.

Rather than copy one specific photo, I decided to try and copy a common theme: children at school/children at play. Given my circumstances, it seemed like a do-able option. :)

My Replicas:




There are a couple of things I don't like, but for the most part I was happy with my first assignment.
I like how my girls are unaware of the camera.
I like how I was able to capture both enthusiasm and (dare I say) boredom.
I like how these photos so accurately represent their different personalities.
I like, most of all, how they are just so darn cute.

Salut!
-m.

P.S. To see more "Mentor Text" assignments, head here.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love both of those, Molly. Especially the girl in the glasses!