Monday, April 25, 2011

Photo Club Assignment #15: Food Photography

After feeling frustrated with my flash, when I found out the next assignment was food photography, I was pretty excited. Easy as pie, right?

However, by the time the deadline for the assignment rolled around I was extremely busy and I didn't get around to taking any new foodie photos. The way I saw it, I had 2 options: don't turn anything in or [cheat a little and] turn in a few pictures I already had. I chose the latter but was later chided a little bit for missing the point of photo club. Ahhhh well.

Food Photo #1

Taken on the back streets of Kathmandu.

Food Photo #2

Taken at the Bellingham Farmer's Market.

In a nutshell, here's what I learned at the workshop taught by another photo club member, Jereme.
{You should most definitely check out his portfolio here. Super impressive. It's easy to see why The Outdoor Channel, Versus, and ESPN2 think so as well!}

Food Photography Tips:
1. Shoot with a narrow depth of field. (This is when I have to point out that my 35mm lens is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread.)
2. Use natural lighting. (Jereme recommends diffused lighting in either the morning or the afternoon.)
3. Try to get some reflection onto your food and 'bounce it onto the foreground'. (He likes using a simple mirror to avoid using the flash.)
4. Get up close & take photos from all angles.
5. Keep the background clean and simple.

Yum!
-m.

To see more submissions, please head here.

2 comments:

Jill said...

The berry photo is one of my all time favorite Molly photos.

Molly said...

aww.:) guess what? i'm excited for our annual summer photo shoot!!!