Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Photo Club Assignment #16: Editing

The next assignment was to learn a new editing method and apply it to a photograph.

When you're armed with iPhoto, your magic wand only knows so many tricks. The Aperature and Photoshop lovers in the group did some pretty amazing things. Me--I was just excited to learn what a histogram was and to fiddle around with it a bit.

This is the original photo:


I took it on our dhow cruise in Oman. As you can see, the aperture was much too high (low f-stop) for the sunny conditions. I set out with the goal of editing to simply salvage the picture.

After a couple of minutes, my tweaking here and saturating there resulted in this:

The hand is still too bright, but overall the image looks so much better. I have to say I really like the way the anemone turned out--the colors are just so pretty.

Our next assignment, #17, is on HDR. I was in China for the 'workshop' meeting, so will have some catching up to do before our 'show & tell' meeting in May. Will keep you updated!
-m.

To see more before/after images + some techniques on how to edit, head here.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Yes, good job! I'll be watching anxiously for your HDR lesson review. I've tried it, but must say my editing really lacked pizzaz!

Good luck!