Sunday, July 31, 2011

100 Reasons You Should Go To Thailand (91-100)


91. Old ruins, new life
Sukhothai , the heart of the kingdom during Thailand's 'golden age', was pretty spectacular. I don't think a trip to Thailand would be complete without a stop here.


92. Puddle jumpers. (Particularly baby elephant puddle jumpers.)
The day we went to the Elephant Nature Park was my very favorite day of the whole trip. Even if you don't have time, you should make time to stop in and visit.


photo by Jill
93. Orange
The bright, vibrant colors everywhere were an unexpected but much appreciated simple pleasure.




94. Wat Arun, Temple of the Dawn
Lonely Planet may not rank this place an essential attraction, but I really enjoyed the beautiful river views from the top of this temple.


95. Clean public restrooms.
Although it's an unglamorous topic, the availability and cleanliness of washrooms can make a big difference in one's experience. (Hint, hint Nepallll!)


96. Treehouses (Can you see it? It's tucked into the jungle.)
Climbing trees = One of my favorite things; Treehouses = Even better. This was like the Thai version of Swiss Family Robinson. Fun!


97. Timelessness
I like the contrasts of this picture. And the overall mix of modern and ancient that we saw throughout the country.


98. Checking things off the life list
Before we started planning the trip, "riding an elephant" was on my life list. After learning more about the training process however, it was enough for me just to be close to them. It's pretty great to get to do things you've always dreamed of doing!


99. Happy surprises around every corner
Seems like every moment we turned around there was something new to appreciate or try. Several months and several trips later, I think I can say that Thailand was one of the happiest trips I've ever had the pleasure of taking.


100. 2 THUMBS UP for unforgettable experiences and wonderful stories! Thanks, Jill! Thanks, Thailand!

♥, Molly

Saturday, July 30, 2011

100 Reasons You Should Go To Thailand (81-90)


81. We Thai folks!
So kind. So friendly. So happy.



photo by Jill
82. We ♥ novelty snacks!
Correction: Jill quadruple
novelty snacks!!!! We named these little street treats "Sweet Thai Tacos". To learn more about our snacking habit, please read Novelty Snacks of Thailand: Part I, Part II, and Part III.


I like how the statues look like they're praying over this little pooch. He he!



83. We ♥ sleeping pups!
Correction: Jill isn't really a dog person. She prefers sleeping cats. Or awake cats. Or non-orange cats, friendly cats, tourist cats, climbing cats, model cats, and cuddlesome cats. The proof is here and here.


84. We ♥ giant toes. Especially with sparkles.
Correction: Jill does NOT like feet. Not even statue feet. Not even one little bit.


85. We ♥ our blessings!
Both Jill and I saw a lot of people living in challenging situations. It made us even more grateful for the opportunities we've had and for our life experiences. We are both very fortunate.


86. We ♥ roasted plantains!
Correction: I
♥ plantain bananas! Mostly because I associate them with my time in Cameroon.


Jill on the left, Molly on the right
87. We ♥ rock climbing!
Correction: I double
♥ rock climbing, but Jill is not a fan of heights and consequently not too keen on the sport. But she gave it a go and I'm very proud of her. You can read Jill's thoughts on the matter right here.


88. We ♥ biking! Especially with company so grand and scenery so beautiful.


89. We ♥ men in uniform.
Correction: J/K!!!!!


photo by Jill
90. We ♥ beauty. And in Thailand there's a lot of it to be found.

♥, Molly

P.S. I
♥ all these corrections. There got to be so many of them that I started to find them kind of funny. I guess they just go to show that there's a little of something for everybody in this place. ;-)

Friday, July 29, 2011

View from Here//Blueberry Treat

inspired by {this moment} by soulemama
an image // from the week // no words



♥, Molly

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Third Chemo.

3 down, 1* to go!


♥, Molly

*The odds are in my favor. Yesterday, the doctor said there's 70% chance that I'll be finished after 4 treatments! (The alternative being there's a 30% chance I'll need 8.) From what we can tell, the chemo is doing its job. Yay!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

a favorite.

the first time i saw these my jaw dropped. and the second time... and the third time...
i think they might be some of my favorite photographs of a long time.






aren't they just amazing?
please head here to see the rest of sebastiaan's work.

♥, Molly

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

100 Reasons You Should Go To Thailand (71-80)


71. Locusts. I hear they're the new bacon.


72. Geeky graffiti


73. Intricate details
When my brother was little he used to ask my dad all sorts of unanswerable questions. Dad, how many snakes do you think are out in that field? Dad, how many bears do you think are in those mountains? Dad, how many fish do you think are in that river? When I saw all of the mosaic work at the Grand Palace I felt like doing the same thing. Dad, how many little teeny tiny little tile pieces do you think are in that statue?


74. Fresh watermelon


75. Friendly faces (Another feature from the Grand Palace)


76. Thoughtful moments


77. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, even though you can't tell because the picture's so small, it's me! And I'm FLYING!!!


78. Cute artists who paint cute elephants at the Chatuchak Weekend Market


79. Ruins in the morning (Just another day in Ayuthaya)


80. Ruins at sunset (Just another day at Sukhothai)

♥, Molly

Monday, July 25, 2011

La Mer//Charles Trénet

In honor of summer, I thought I'd share this classic song plus a few pictures of the French seaside.


(I also like the version by Françoise Hardy.)




St. Malo, 2005


Nice, 2005

I hope you're outside enjoying the sunshine. Happy Summering!
♥, Molly

Sunday, July 24, 2011

100 Reasons You Should Go To Thailand (61-70)


61. Blooming flowers and temple blessings


62. Cheap tickets! (Well . . . at least cheaper than if we'd flown from Seattle . . .)


63. Bruno
We have Bruno, an unsuspecting German traveler who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, to thank for some good laughs. I had my suspicions when he first boarded the van wearing padded spandex shorts that he was not planning on visiting the elephants that day. I was curious, but had to wait over 8 hours to find out the rest of the story. The pieces started to come together when he very crossly expressed his displeasure with the whole Elephant Park experience. Turns out he'd originally signed up for a bike trip, but had accidentally boarded the wrong minibus. It was a complete mountain biking FAIL for him, but a definite source of comic relief for us. All we had to do for the rest of the trip was mention "spandex" or "Bruno" and we instantly felt better. In fact, all these months later, it still makes me smile.


64. Crazy tour guides who are obsessed with DSLRs and won't stop posing you so they can take your picture!
"Ma'am--I am like professional!!"


65. Inside jokes
(Jill!!!!)


66. Interesting desserts.
Ever tried toasted pound cake with custard, raisins, chocolate sauce, and sprinkles? Neither had we!


67. Time for silly poses (Yes, we like our photo shoots.)


68. Cute puppies


69. Pad Thai
The standard for good and cheap street food has been set!


70. Palaces . . . big, glitzy, Grand Palaces
Mr. & Mrs. Globetrot also visited. Their photos are absolutely gorgeous; you can see them here and here.

♥, Molly