Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bump in the Road--Part II

Part II: The Bump


photos by Sarah
After a little help from the rental company I eventually got the moped to start. Away we go!


photos by Sarah
Yes, I really did hit a bump in the road.

April:
I reluctantly went back to the clinic and saw a different doctor. I fully expected him to laugh at me as well. He pretty much did. But he also decided to do more blood work, other tests, and some x-rays. They showed nothing.

Then he decided I should have an ultrasound. It revealed several lumps on the left side of my neck and a smaller lump on the right side of my neck. Hmmm . . . probably just an infection. Maybe cat-scratch fever. Or some kind of arthritis.

May:
After more tests and a needle biopsy, I was still no closer to having answers.

One of my doctors suggested that I wait for another 6 weeks to see if the bumps went away. I decided it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from a different hospital and a different doctor. Same story. Knowing that I was going to be leaving in July, knowing that I wouldn't have health insurance back home, and knowing that it usually takes a very long time for things to get done around here, I started pushing for a 'real' biopsy.

On May 25th I had surgery to remove one of the biggest bumps on my neck. My little operation went well, my kind friends took good care of me, and the surgeon removed a lymph node that looked like an old, ugly strawberry. Eww.

photo by Hannah
I took heart when the surgeon told me that it looked benign.

The only thing left to do was wait for results.

And so I waited.
My follow up appointment came and went.
Still no results.

And so I waited so more.

June:
On Saturday, June 4th, I called the doctor (again) with the (slight) hope that he might (finally) have the results.
And this time, he did.
And then he said to me, "Hello, ma'am Molly? Yes, yes. . . . Well. It looks . . . It looks like they may have found something. It looks like it is Hodgkin's Lymphoma. But you will need more testing."
And then there was a lot of silence.
And I couldn't think of anything to say.
And so I hung up.

♥, Molly

No comments: