Thursday, July 7, 2011

A First Grade Novel

Today as I was sorting through a stack of random papers I came across this story. I instinctively started to throw it out, but then decided otherwise.

So without any further ado, here is the tale of . . .

The Mom and the Baby
by Mariam Abudulla
(As told to Miss Molly)


The Mom come. The
baby. Yaaay!


I sad.
And the baby
he ________.**

**Can you guess what word? If you're thinking die you're on track. She didn't know how to say it or write it, but she definitely knew how to show it. Right in the middle of reading her story aloud she did a full-on impersonation of a dead baby--complete with tongue out and eyes rolled to the side. Priceless.

The baby. He
happy.


As you can see, we've still got some work to do. (Ahem, no punctuation and general lack of description.) However, for a little 6 year old ELL writer, I think she did a pretty swell job. I particularly love 2 things:
1. The lackluster but clear attempt at a plot-- even though it's kind of awful she does try so very hard to have a problem and a solution. I've got to give her credit for following directions.
2. Her illustrations -- hellO princess hat!

Thanks for reading.

THE END

(Which she more accurately pronounced like Thuuuuuuhhh End)

♥,
Molly

1 comment:

Carol Mosher said...

Moll I love you and know I am praying for you everyday.
Love Aunt Carol