Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque: Crown Jewel of Abu Dhabi (Part I)


In honor of Ramadan I thought I would publish a few pictures of the beautiful Sheikh Zayed Mosque.

Way back when I first came to town, the Grand Mosque was one of the first sights I visited. It struck me as one of the most beautiful buildings I'd ever seen--and I'd say that it still is. (True confession--I found it prettier than the Taj Mahal.)







All of the stones were hand cut by artisans.




I remember being most impressed by the sheer size of the mosque as well as the intensely minute details.

The mosque is named after Sheikh Zayed, the beloved "Father of the Nation" who unified the emirates and became known for his goodwill and generosity. He passed away in 2004 and is now buried in a tomb on the site. As a way to honor the legacy of the late Sheikh, it is one of the few mosques open to both Muslims and non-Muslims in order to promote understanding and peace.



♥, Molly

P.S. Some of these photos may be from Caitlin.

No comments: