Facts, Figures, and a VIDEO!
A few things about Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque you just might want to know know . . .
- The Grand Mosque is the largest mosque in the U.A.E. and the 3rd largest mosque in the world.
- It can accommodate 40,000 worshipers.
- The mosque had it's busiest day on January 29, 2011 when 29,000 people came to visit.
- From the outside, you can see 4 minarets and 82 domes.
- The minarets stretch 358 feet into the air.
- The outer courtyard, decorated with vines and blossoms, is the largest example of marble mosaic in the world.
- The reception room is inlaid with 28 different types of marble from all around the world.
- There are 7 German-crafted chandeliers made of Swarvoski crystal and fiber optic lighting materials in the main hall. One of these chandeliers is the "World's Largest Chandelier in a Mosque" It is 33 feet in diameter, 49 feet long, and contains one million Swarovski crystals. It bumped the chandelier in Oman's Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque down to second place on the podium.
World Record #2: It has the largest handwoven carpet (aka prayer mat) in the world. It is 60,570 sq ft which converts to 1.39 acres. (That is practically a pasture!)
- The carpet took 35 tons of wool and 12 tons of cotton to complete. There are supposedly 2,268,000,000 knots within the carpet
- More than 3,000 workers and 38 contracting companies were involved in the building process.