Saturday, January 28, 2012

Oh Christmas Tree

On my first few days back in Washington, my body was having a hard time with jet lag.  Most mornings I'd try to stay in bed as long as I could before venturing downstairs to cozy up next to the fire and read.  One early morning I decided to skip the reading and play with my camera instead.

I read a little 'how to shoot sparkle lights' somewhere online and followed the directions. I was most surprised with how the lights came out--it's a mini-Christmas miracle that it actually sort of worked.   In the 4 tree pictures above I used a tripod, low shutter speed (1/5s, 1/8s, 1/8s, 1/4s respectively), low ISO (Lo1), f.1.8, and a remote.  Later I ended up changing the f stop, ISO, and shutter speed in all sorts of various configurations.  I seems that the lower the shutter speed, the more twinkles. I like twinkles.

Finding and decorating the tree is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. I love the fresh smell. I love unwrapping and 'discovering' the same ornaments year after year.  I love the way it looks once it's covered with lights and surrounded by presents. I'd say it almost casts a spell on me.

Must be magic.

♥, Molly






2 comments:

Jill said...

I love that first photo. I'd say your photography skills have come along way from the days when you were using the camera with no viewfinder and half the screen obstructed.

Molly said...

oh man-- i remember that one. guess it's only up from there! ;-)