Saturday, April 21, 2012

On the Road

{5.2012}

According to audible.com, the average reader only gets through 5 books a year.  Thanks to On the Road I'm proudly wearing my "5 Book" badge.  Yay! 

However, don't mistake my cheering as praise for this book.  I know it's well loved, but I really didn't like it.  It was just too depressing.  The more I read, the more unhappy I felt--like I was absorbing the characters' dissatisfaction with life, their constant searching, their lack of fulfillment.  The selfishness of it all really got to me.  So many people hurting one another, leaving spouses and kids behind, lying, taking advantage, throwing away potential, etc. etc. etc.

At least I have to give this book props for being honest.  Life is hard.  Hurt people hurt people. Happiness is fleeting.  True, true, true.  BUT a downer isn't exactly what I'm looking for when I pick travel books.  If you do read it, prepare yourself--it's going to be bleak.

♥, Molly 

No comments: