{7.2012}
Another hostel find. Another quick read.
It's an interesting (though fictional) glimpse into the life of a geisha working in Kyoto, Japan before and after World War II. I'm sure it's full of stereotypes but I honestly don't know enough about Japanese culture to sort between the truths and the fallacies. The main character does a beautiful job of narrating her life, but after awhile I wanted to smack her. Her identity is wholly dependent on the love of a certain character. The sappy ending was also a bit much. When I think of it as "memoir" it bothers me. When I think of it as fairytale, then it's much easier to like.
It's an interesting (though fictional) glimpse into the life of a geisha working in Kyoto, Japan before and after World War II. I'm sure it's full of stereotypes but I honestly don't know enough about Japanese culture to sort between the truths and the fallacies. The main character does a beautiful job of narrating her life, but after awhile I wanted to smack her. Her identity is wholly dependent on the love of a certain character. The sappy ending was also a bit much. When I think of it as "memoir" it bothers me. When I think of it as fairytale, then it's much easier to like.
♥, Molly

No comments:
Post a Comment