Saturday, September 11, 2010

Settling... Sorta...



I think my grandmas and grandpas [plus a few other non-facebookers] will be happy to know that I'm once again in Abu Dhabi! I'm safe, of sound physical condition, and trying to get settled. My only problem is that even though my body is back in the Middle East, my brain seems to be lost somewhere between Seattle and southern Turkey.


Or maybe still riding the open range in Göreme?

Honestly folks, when I assess the supply and demand of the current *brainpower* situation, things aren't looking pretty. There's a lot that needs to get done in the next couple of days, but not a lot up there right now.

For example, knowing I needed to run a few errands this morning, I woke up, showered, dressed, and was putting my sandals on at the door when I noticed a little problem. Instead of shaving both of my not-so-sleek-after-more-than-a-week-of-traveling legs, I'd managed to only shave one. Still not sure how I forgot that I had two legs while I had the razor à main, but somehow I did.

In the afternoon, while waiting for a ride from Jill, I momentarily misplaced my bag. Of course, a mild panic attack (complete with additional, not-Abu-Dhabi-heat-inspired sweating, an attention-drawing spinning around the pavement and frantic scanning up and down the sidewalk) ensued. Thankfully, I found the missing bag right where I'd left it: on my shoulder. Yikes is right.

Last but not least, I completely neglected the fact that I am the proud owner of two goldfish. Was it really only a few short months ago that I'd given my little fishy friends to a fellow animal lover so she could watch them for me over the summer holiday? Spending several hours with my pet-sitter, including a coffee catch-up, dinner, and Bible study, didn't help. Even being in close proximity to their fish bowl wasn't enough to jog my memory. I'm embarrassed to admit that it took a little longer than it should have for me to figure out what in the world Cait was talking about when she asked me if I was ready for the fish. Fish? Fish? Ohhhh . . . fish.


Although poor Dora & Diego might have slipped my mind, I'm sure they were always on Cisme's.

Thinking it might be time to get some help.
Or ride off into the sunset.
Or remember that sometimes, even really smartandcoolandtalendwritertype people have days like this*.
Or at least take a nap.

This was my favorite sleeping kitty in Istanbul.

At this rate, the first week of school could be pretty rough. It doesn't help much that I'm still missing some information that's quite critical to planning for the year. (Yeah, I still don't know when students are expected to arrive, if I'll be transferred buildings, if the empty positions at my school are filled, if co-workers will be returning, or if I'll even be teaching first grade again and other stuff like that.) Being able to think when I get this info at the last minute might actually be kind of nice. Let's just hope to goodness my brain shows up -- and like soon.

Wish me luck!
-m.

*You really should read this post by my friend, Abbie. I still can't stop giggling.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Molly.... so sorry to laugh at you... really I was laughing with you about the bag on your shoulder...too funny! And the leg.....hilarious!

Hope you find out some of those rather important details before school starts...whenever that is!