Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 17--Embroidery 101

30(ish) Days of Fun::Caitlin's Arrival to the First Day of School
inspired by Mighty Girl

Back in March, Sarah and I were treated to a little Carnival in honor of our birthdays. In addition to tons of homemade fair food, cheery decor, and specialty soda, the night included some lively midway games. (And prizes!) After a few turns at the dart board, I was the lucky recipient of a craft lesson from Jill. I decided to ask her to teach me a thing or two about embroidery and she happily obliged. (You can check out some of her needlework here.)

I liked embroidering well enough to order this kit from Sublime Stitching. Once it arrived, however, I never quite got around to starting any of my own projects. Until yesterday.

I decided my first project would be something for my sister's birthday. I washed and ironed a dishtowel, transferred the pattern, reacquainted myself with the basics, and then got started. Lo and behold, it really wasn't that hard. I chose a straightforward pattern (HB--my sister's nickname) and used some very simple stitches (back stitch on the H and stem stitch on the B). Several hours and several episodes of The Office later, I was finished!

Happy Birthday, Honeybunch!

Obviously, it doesn't take much to make me proud. :)

♥, Molly

No comments: